Tuesday, September 14, 2010

One more month. What?

Today kicks off the last month of my thirties. EVER. And just what have I chosen to do on such a momentous occasion? Make pickled beets, of course! We came home with a bunch of beets (and lots more) from Darin's parents' garden in Delta last Monday (thanks!), and I realized it needed to be done sooner rather than later. They don't seem to have the shelf life of zucchini or pumpkins... so I found a website to guide me through the process. Let it be known, that I've never canned anything in my life, so this is happening just in time for me to say I started canning in my thirties. I got all the gear, (pot, magnetic lid lifter, funnel, jar tongs, jars...) so I'll be doing it again--maybe peaches or pears next time. Anyway, back to beets--my taste has definitely matured... at the beginning of my thirties, in the year 2000, my slogan for beets (a la "Beef. It's what's for dinner.") would've been, "Beets. Why Bother?" But a few years ago, when I tried the ones Darin's mom & dad canned, I had to reconsider. And now, at the twilight of my third decade, I would have to say, "Beets. They're not too bad!" When I cleaned and cooked them initially, the smell that filled the house reminded me of my Grandma & Grandpa Gibson's house in St. David, AZ for some reason... Did they can a lot of beets by chance?


I did not set out to document the process, but I did snap a picture of them simmering away with the onions, vinegar & spices--they are such a pretty color... and here is the finished product: 7 pints!

Meanwhile:

No comments:

Post a Comment