Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The "L" word... or is it?

It's so amazing how kids learn language. I've noticed several times over the past few years when Gavin has applied a grammar rule (like adding -ed or -ing) when the correct word is actually an exception to the rule (can't think of any examples off the top of my head right now, but there's just so much to learn! Then there's pronunciation of letter sounds. A couple of years ago, Gavin had a hard time with the "L" sound. He used to say, "yeyyo" for "yellow" and "yucky" for "lucky," etc. He's been able to say yellow & lucky and all the other "L" words for a long time now. WELL, last week for some reason, he started OVER-CORRECTING and using "L" instead of the "Y" sound. For example:

Gavin: "Did you hear that lawn?"
Me: "Lawn mower?"
Gavin: "No, I LAWNED--I must be tired."

Gavin: "Can we go swing in the back LARD?"

We were talking about the last time he had flown on an airplane (which was over 2 years ago)... and Gavin said, "When are we going to go back to New LORK?"

And finally, at Costco, we had some food samples while shopping. Gavin had a bite of cinnamon roll & said, "Mmmmm. That was LUMMY!"

I wouldn't have thought to make a blog post, but when it happened on four different words over two days, I had to document it (and had a good laugh when I was telling Darin about it). Bless his heart! We have been working on letter sounds lately--we checked out the first set of the Bob Books from the library, and he is already sounding out the words in the first few books. Coincidence? Did he think he'd been mispronouncing yawn, yard, York & yummy ALL THIS TIME?

No comments:

Post a Comment